The electricity that comes to our homes is still every similar to that of 50 years ago, however the machinery which consumes those currents have become increasingly more delicate and sensitive. An electrical surge is when the voltage increases above the norm for at least 3 nanoseconds. This heats up the wire and can ultimately burn it, or in some cases set it on fire. Any digital hardware connected when a surge occurs could potentially be burnt out or all the data wiped. There are a variety of options on the market, make sure that you buy the one that is best for your needs. Not all the surge protectors are the same and some of them might even be powerstrips disguised as surge protectors. Some even come with warranties of $300,000 on equipment.
The amount of outlets that need to be installed in each room has drastically changed over the last 50 years. In the past one lone outlet would have sufficed however as the demand for more appliances grew so did the need for more outlets. In today’s standard kitchen a minimum of seven circuits is expected with often more. Across the home, outlets are placed about 18 inches above floor level.
Installing Electrical Main Panel
Commercial electrical job installing a Main Panel with 208/120 volt in Chicopee MA
Sub Panel Electrical Installation
Commercial electrical job with sub panels bringing in 480/277 volt to the panel on the right with a transformer in the middle giving us 208/120 voltage to the panel on the left in Springfield MA
The possibility of water and electricity mixing, is one of the most life threatening combinations in our homes today. The modern home on the other hand demands an array of high tech equipment, ranging from the purest juicer to the broadest toaster not even naming the kettle, grill and bullet blender. All of this equipment shouts for an outlet that needs to be safe and available.
Below are a few rules and regulations:
Building remodel doing a 600 kcmil wire pull feeding a second floor electrical sub panel in Springfield MA
Residential progression image of a first floor remodel getting ready for installing recess cans with led trims for lighting in Suffield CT
Are you willing to risk the safety of your family and home to save money, is the first thing you should ask yourself before embarking on an electrical DIY afternoon. In most states the homeowner can pull his own electrical permit for work in his single family home, however in the case of damage or fire caused by his work, the homeowners insurance will not pay. Home insurance will only pay if the work is done by a licensed electrical contractor. It is also a violation for a licensed electrician to connect wiring that has been done by an unlicensed electrician, so anything you attempt at home will have to be re-done regardless. Over and above the financial implications there are potentially deadly consequences to doing your own electrical work, from high-voltage shock, internal injury or even nerve damage. At JTN electrical we are licensed specialists in our field, call us today for a quote.
Will we clean after ourselves?
It is a known fact that electricians hardly cleanup after themselves, some will even go as far as charging an additional $100/day. Some clients would rather pay their domestic helper to stay on for an extra hour than pay these exuberant prices as the electrician companies feel it’s below their pay grade. Not discarding of electrical waste like screws, nails, and bits of insulation can be a hazard to the client, their children or pets.
At JTN electrical we believe that safety comes first. From installation, maintaining and our white glove service which is essential for every home. We lay down drop clothes to avoid dirt and dust. Upon completion of the job we ensure that your home is as clean and neat as when we arrived. Our specialized journeymen pride themselves in their work and we deliver nothing but our complete best from start to finish.
What is an AFCI?
The AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) breaker will shut off a circuit in a fraction of a second if arcing develops. The current inside of an arc is not always high enough to trip a regular breaker. You may have noticed a cut or worn piece of a cord or a loose connection in a junction box or receptacle arcing and burnt without tripping the regular breaker. As you can guess this is a major cause of fires in a dwelling.
Starting January 1st 2002 the National Electrical Code, Section 210-12, requires that all branch circuits supplying 125V, single phase, 15 and 20 ampere outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms be protected by an arc-fault Circuit interrupter. Eventually they will be in more areas but the NEC selected to require them on bedroom circuits first because a CPSC study showed many home fire deaths were related to bedroom circuits.
There is a difference between AFCIs and GFCIs. AFCIs are intended to reduce the likelihood of fire caused by electrical arcing faults; whereas, GFCIs are personnel protection intended to reduce the likelihood of electric shock hazard. Don't misunderstand, GFCIs are still needed and save a lot of lives.